Thursday, July 2, 2015

Meet our people: Pearl Motingoe


 "I've always wanted to be a nurse - even now!" says Carryou Ministry, Social Mobilisation Coordinator, Pearl Motingoe (26).
 "I did my schooling in Krugersdorp but, because my Mom died during that time, I wasn't able to complete my matric. Studying further then, was simply not an option, so I got a job at a fast-food chain where I worked as a cashier.
 "But I soon realised, that was definitely not for me," she says. "I managed to save enough to enrol at a college and completed my matric.
 "For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a nurse and, once I had my matric certificate, I enrolled at a nursing college in Krugersdorp but could only afford to do a course that qualified me as an Ancillary Nurse.
 "I got a job at Krugersdorp Private Hospital but it was a temporary position and only for six months but it confirmed what I'd always known - I wanted to spend my life helping people."


Advert

 Then she saw an advert for a position as a Health Coordinator at Carryou.
 "I applied and joined the organisation in August last year," says Pearl. "A large part of my function is giving health talks to workers at factories and companies on topics like HIV, TB and Malaria. It is very rewarding and fulfilling."
 Pearl is married with a two year-old son.
 "He brings great joy to me," she says. "He is both naughty and clever!"
 When not working or caring for her family, she is deeply involved in church activities.
 "My goal in five years is to have a degree in nursing, my own home and my own car," she says. "But I realise it's not going to be easy. I am struggling to get a bursary and a spot at a nursing college.
 "Maybe I'll end up studying Social Work through UNISA - they won't tell me they're full!"

No comments:

Post a Comment