Monday, July 13, 2015

Meet our people: Christinah van Rooyen


 Christinah van Rooyen (63) joined Carryou Ministry last year as a Social Mobilisation Co-Coordinator, following a long career in the nursing sector.
 "I worked as an Assistant Nurse at Sir Albert Hospital in Randfontein from 1982 until 2009, until health issues caused me to take a break," she says. "Then I did part-time work at Lesedi Private Hospital in Soweto and also worked at a hospital in Carletonville.
 "I live in Finsbury (Randfontein) and often came into contact with Home-based Care workers from Carryou and they told me about the wonderful work being done by the organisation.
 "That prompted me to drop off a copy of my CV at the Carryou offices and the rest is history," she says.
 "I love what I do. It is incredibly rewarding to change people's lives by teaching them about health matters. My team and I visit factories, settlements and places like the municipal dumping sites to teach people about the importance of being tested for HIV, high blood pressure, TB and sugar diabetes. We encourage them to limit the number of sexual partners they are involved with, to use condoms and adopt healthy lifestyles."


Hope

 Christinah grew up in Westonaria and when she married moved to Toekomsrus. She is now a single parent and lives in Finsbury.
 "I live with my youngest daughter and my grandson, who I am raising because his mother died," she says. "When not working or taking care of my family I spend most of my time at my church where I am one of the leaders.
 "My hope is that I continue doing what I am doing for many years to come. I think it vital we older people encourage and groom the youngsters, so they can be prepared and able to face the future.
 "Kids face many challenges today and, as elders, we cannot sit and let the world pass by without helping and becoming involved."

No comments:

Post a Comment