Saturday, June 25, 2016

Meet our people: Mavis Rasebetshela


Mavis Rasebetshela
 Mavis Rasebetshela (34) is a Child and Youth Care Worker at Carryou Ministries' Toekomsrus Drop-in Centre.
 She first had contact with Carryou when the FIFA World Cup was played in South Africa in 2010.
 "A friend saw I wasn't doing anything at the time and invited me to go with her to Carryou," she says. "I instantly fell in love with the children and started volunteering.
 "Then I became part of the Extended Public Works Programme, where I learned computer skills, wrote reports and did whatever was needed."

Soweto

 Mavis grew up in Soweto with her mother and four sisters, and went to school in Orlando. In 2006 her sister bought a house in Randfontein and she moved here.
 "When I heard about the opportunity to be trained as a Child and Youth Care Worker, I grabbed it with both hands," says Mavis. "I started training in 2014 and qualified two years later.
 "I love being able to make a difference in the community, and whenever I am able to help a child I sleep soundly at night."
 Mavis has a son who lives in Soweto and on weekends she tries to spend as much time as possible with him.
 "I try to teach him the things I learn at work," she says.
 She also enjoys reading, especially biographies.
 "I love what I do and plan to study further in this field," she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment