Friday, August 7, 2015

Pamela appointed Youth Ambassador

 Pamela Serage (27) is one of Carryou Ministry's greatest success stories.
 The former orphan, who raised her brother while they were both still at school, has just been appointed a Youth Ambassador by the Department of Social Development.
 "This year's theme is 'How South Africa's youth can participate in the economy'," says Pamela. "My personal goal is to inspire, particularly girls, and show they can achieve great things in their lives themselves. They don't need a 'sugar daddy' to get ahead, if they learn to love themselves and embrace education.
 "My desire is to get people to believe they do not have to be dependent on Government handouts but have the power to create their own futures."

Speaks from experience

 Pamela speaks from experience. When her parents died she was left to care for herself and her brother.
 "I came into contact with Carryou at the Drop-in Centre in Toekomsrus in 2004, when I was in grade 10 at school. Soon after, met its founder, Sister Pam Jamison and Sue Heywood, who was visiting from the US," she says. "Sue asked what I wanted to do with my life and I told her: to complete my schooling and go to university."
 Once back in the US, Sue organised monthly support for Pamela and her brother.
 "When I was in matric she said money was available for my university studies," Pamela says. "I wanted to study geology but God had other plans and, after many obstacles and a lot of help from people at Carryou, I was accepted at the University of Johannesburg, where I completed the three-year National Diploma in Environmental Health."
 She did so well that, before she'd completed her diploma, she was offered an internship as a Port Health Officer at Lanseria International Airport. In 2011 she joined the Department of Health as an Inspector of hospitals and clinics. There her primary function was to ensure patients received quality care and that medical facilities complied with the laws and prescribed standards.

Degree

 Not one to rest on her laurels, Pamela continued to study part-time at the University of Johannesburg and, in 2013, was awarded a bachelor's degree.
 She is currently employed by Merafong Municipality.
 "In May this year the Department of Social Development came for a routine monitoring inspection and I introduced Pamela," says Rev. Lawrence Mabaso, Carryou Ministry's General Manager.
 "They invited her to be a guest speaker at a conference, to talk about children and child-headed households. She obviously impressed them because they decided she could make a difference in the lives of young people and asked her to be their Youth Ambassador."
 "I want to convey the message that great things can happen, if you put your mind to it and surround yourself with the right kind of people," says Pamela. "If I'd taken the short-term view and the easy way out, I would not be here today."
 In addition to all her other commitments, Pamela also serves on the Board of Carryou Ministry, where she fills the role of Secretary.

No comments:

Post a Comment