Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Inspiring words from an inspirational young woman

Pamela Serage is a Carryou Ministry success story. She is an inspiration and at the recent Carryou Ministry AGM she addressed the youth and the community.

This is what she had to say:

I would like to introduce myself and elaborate on how I’m connected to Carryou ministry. My name is Pamela Mokgadi Serage from Randfontein Toekomsrus. I come from a child headed family both my parents passed away, I grew up with my brother and fortunately our parents left us a house. I was introduced to Carryou by a very wonderful woman, at that time she was my brother’s class teacher Ms Abrams. I joined Carryou when I was 15 years old, I was in my teens and now I’m a woman because of Carryou, I am the product of Carryou ministry. I met Sister Pam and Sue Heywood at Toekomsrus Drop-in centre, the first question that Sue asked me was what do you want to do with your life I told her I want to go to university. At that time I was doing my matric Sue had already organized money for me to go to school.

I wanted to study Geology. I remember going to Free State province in the morning around 3:00 am with Mr. Mabaso and Mzi to write a test in order to get a bursary to study Geology. I passed the test and was called for an interview which, unfortunately I failed. I so wanted to be a Geologist but God had other plans for me. I enrolled for Environmental Health at the UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG from 2007 to 2009 and managed to complete my course within the specified time.

When I was writing my final exam I already knew where I was going to work. In 2010 I worked as a Port Health Officer at Lanseria International Airport, and then in 2011 in August I was working as an Inspector, responsible for the whole of West Rand District. I am currently employed as a Superintendent for waste minimisation and education at Merafong City Local Municipality. I completed my BTECH in 2012.

Follow your dreams

But today I would like to speak to the youth, I want to encourage you to follow your dreams, it does not matter what situation you are in, it does not matter whether you are an orphan, you are HIV positive, your parents are unemployed, it all depends on you to change the person you are today to be the person you want to be tomorrow. Your future is in your hands and in Jeremiah 29v11 God says ‘For I know the plans I have for you is to prosper not harm you.’ God knows the desires of our hearts; he knew us while we were still in our mother’s womb so he will never leave you or forsake you. They say education is the key to success but I say education plus God and you will go far, He will unlock all the gates.

It saddened me to hear that we have learners that have failed in the colleges. When you are given an opportunity make sure that you utilize it to the best of your ability. Do not misuse the opportunity because I have witnessed the efforts that are put in by the management of Carryou and the various sponsors to ensure that we have a better future.  Please let’s work hard and better ourselves and the future of our children. And make sure that our families have a better life. The foundation has been laid for us by the Carryou management and it is up to us to carry the legacy.  I was an orphan but I had everything at school as if my parents were still alive.  All things are possible - follow your dreams.
I would also like to speak to the community. Let’s be united, let’s help each other. As a parent if you see children playing and not going to school, you must be concerned and encourage the child  to go to school. We have so many children that are abused emotionally and physically, please offer a shoulder to cry on. It’s also woman’s month let’s love one another and help each other. We have so many woman that are abused by their partners. Don’t laugh at them; show them the way and provide them with a solution to get out of their situation.

I just want to send my sincere gratitude to everyone at Carryou Ministry for playing a very important role in my life. The road was not easy I was young and temptations were there, but I thank God that I was able to overcome the temptations and focus on bettering my life. I am now a board member and it’s my passion to make a difference in someone’s life. I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment