Monday, March 17, 2014

Pam Jamison honoured

(L-R) Rev. Lawrence Mabaso, Tony Jamison and Pam Jamison

 Carryou Ministry founder, Pam Jamison was honoured by the West Rand District Municipality, Executive Mayor, Clr Mpho Nawa. The occasion was the glittering State of the District presentation.
 Pam and Carryou Ministry's contribution to the community of the area was recognised and acknowledged, and she and husband Tony were given a standing ovation by the guests and dignitaries.
  It all started when the Anglican Church, St. John the Divine, asked Pam Jamison, member of the congregation and a nursing sister to attend an AIDS 'trainer of trainers' course. This was because increasing numbers of people were turning to the church for assistance in dealing with the trauma of HIV and AIDS.
 Pam completed the course and soon began to care for patients in Toekomsrus, a township bordering Randfontein. Word quickly spread however, and she was asked to train others so they too, could care for the sick.
 And it wasn't long before care-givers in other townships and rural areas got to hear of Pam's training and came flocking to her for help and so, Carryou Ministry was born.
 "It just grew," says Pam. "Carryou Ministry is a non-profit organization involved in home-based care for the sick and elderly, as well as people affected by HIV/AIDS.
 "As a result of the devastating disease our biggest challenge now, is caring for the children left behind."

Inspired

 Carryou Ministry's work is inspired by the Bible reading from Matthew 25:35.
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick, and you looked after me."
 "We started this ministry in with no resources - just sick people and a strong faith," says Pam. "We prayed to God to lead us according to His purposes, which He always has done.
 "The name Carryou can be found in Isaiah 46:4, where God says: 'I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.'"
 And God has been true to his promise.
 Today Carryou Ministry feeds around 1 000 people (mainly children) six days of the week, provides home-based care to over 200 terminally-ill patients, helps hundreds of kids with their school homework every day and provides a variety of other counseling and support-services.
 As usual, Pam was modest about her contributions, preferring to give credit to God and the team on the ground.
 "It is with grateful thanks to our Lord Jesus that I recognise the honour given us," she says, "for we are working hard every day to fulfill the vision and tasks He has given us and I have every confidence in the team we have developed under Rev. Lawrence Mabaso.

No comments:

Post a Comment