Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Another orphan gives back




Carryou Ministry, Child and Youth Care Programme worker, Louise Otto, had a tough life growing up but she has not let that stop her.
 The 22 year-old, young woman's mother died when she was only three months old and she never knew her father.
 "My sister and I stayed with my granny in Toekomsrus," she says. "But in 2009, when I was in Grade 11, my granny died and we were left to fend for ourselves.
 "Occasionally an uncle checked in on us but most of the time we were on our own."
 A few years earlier Louise had started to drop by at the Carryou Drop-in Centre in Toekomsrus where she was given a great deal emotional support.

Volunteer

 "I saw the wonderful work they did and started helping out wherever I could," says Louise. "After matriculating -- and also representing Gauteng at volleyball -- I was absorbed into Carryou as a volunteer and part of the Extended Public Works Programme.
 "It was a wonderful experience, as I got to do a bit of everything and learned a huge amount about how the organisation works. But, because I was an orphan, I always wanted to work with kids. I wanted to be a role model to them.
 So when the Carryou Ministry Child and Youth Care Programme was mooted last year, Louise was keen to become a part of it and was thrilled when she was chosen.
 "I absolutely love what I do," she says. "Because I was an orphan I can identify with kids in a similar situation."
 "One day I would like to go into a management position or perhaps even start my own business -- but it'll be something to do with kids. I am also keen to study accounting," says Louise.

Please share this article with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment