Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sue's report


Sue Heywood is a US citizen who is deeply involved in not only raising funds in general to help with Carryou Ministry's work but also has been instrumental in getting US sponsors to help specific children and families. She recently visited Carryou Minstry, as well as many of the kids and families she has come to personally know over the years. Of the reasons she did so, was to see what the current needs are and to report back to the US sponsors.
 This is an extract from her report. To respect the privacy of many of the people concerned, we choose not to publish the names of some of the aid recipients.

 When I was there in early October I was again aware of how much our funding achieves. While I was going round the homes and schools this time, I was able to buy three months supply of milk for an orphaned baby whose grandmother had run out of milk and money to buy it, food for a number of hungry families whose shacks showed no evidence of anything for today's meal, paraffin for cooking and text books for school. I also brought  with me two bags stuffed tightly with beautiful clothes, some jump ropes and frisbees! I always first asked Rev Lawrence whether the money I gave would be a help and appropriate. The joy it brought, I wish you all could see. Thank you for your past support of this wonderful organization.

Photos from October 2012



At the Toekomsrus drop in Center, table tennis which was bought by a friend in New Jersey last Christmas. The caregiver was teaching a long line of eager kids. To the right on the floor a small crowd played monopoly and scrabble!



Finger board was equally popular



 ***** girls wearing T shirts donated by Tuxedo Library. They live in a one room outhouse on a farm with one bed. They were hoping for a government low cost house, but so far nothing has happened.



More T-shirts for the ***** family. Their caregiver  (in blue) tries them for size.



Martha Come is one of the most promising people I have met. She is taking every opportunity offered to her through the DIC, her church and her school. She is going into 12th grade. She and her brother live on an orphan grant of R250 a month...about $35. Carryou is applying for further assistance for them. The neighbors showed me several sheets of corrugated iron which they had bought to repair Martha's roof which leaked in many places.



Next door this grandmother was very happy with a new T-shirt.



***** is another girl whom I have watched develop and have hopes that she may improve her conditions through her own efforts. The youngest of three sisters, she has seen both her parents die and just recently her eldest sister. She seems healthy, and grateful for Carryou's support.



 **** ...a sad little boy. I couldn't get a smile out of him. When you see the home situations it stresses the urgency for Drop in Centers, creches and extended school programs. There's such a 'nothingness' about life in a squatter camp.



Pamela Serage went with me on the first day. What a joy she is! She is working in Gauteng hospitals, putting an orphaned cousin through college and plans to support one of Carryou's orphans when she has finished paying for her cousin's education. Our sponsorship of her has really changed her life and she is now giving back.



***** still smiles but her teacher says she isn't doing well at school because she is frequently absent. She walks 5 kilometers to school across dirt roads and scrubland all by herself. No wonder she doesn't always come. I keep thinking about this little girl and wishing I could do more.



I admired the construction of this house. It even had a porch.



Rev Lawrence Mabaso was with me in Tshediso's house, a low cost government house left to him by his aunt. Tshediso was studying for his first year's law exams but Carryou told me that he can't afford the text books to study. I was able to help.



Setholele Primary School Several of our sponsored orphans attend this school. Behind me is ******, another young lady with some spunk and promise!



With Brenda Naholo, the orphan manager and coordinator, sorting out the bags of clothing I had brought and deciding who would get what.

If you would like to help Carryou Ministry please contact us.

No comments:

Post a Comment