Friday, May 17, 2013

Meet our people: Lucas Motshotsho




 Lucas Motshotsho (25) is one of a number of orphans helped by Carryou Ministry who is giving back to the organisation and community.
 Born and raised in Toekomsrus, Randfontein, his parents died when he was still at school.
 "I started coming to the Toekomsrus Drop-in Centre as it was a place where I could eat and play and get emotional and spiritual support," he says.
 "After I matriculated at the local high school, I wanted to study welding but there just was no money so I decided to volunteer at Carryou. I helped wherever I was needed. I cooked, cleaned, answered phones...whatever needed to be done. Eventually I was the centre's caretaker.
 "Later I had the opportunity to become involved with the government's Extended Public Works Programme (EPWP) and started doing home visits where I increasingly became involved in directly helping children in need," says Lucas.
 "I loved going out and doing field work with the managers."
 So when the Carryou Ministry Child and Youth Care Programme was mooted last year, Lucas jumped at the opportunity to become a part of it.
 "I successfully got through the interview process and was chosen to join the learnership programme," he says. "Once a month an outside trainer comes to the Drop-in Centre to give us professional instruction and the rest of the time I spend making home visits and working on cases allocated to me.
 "It is wonderful to be able to give back."
 When not working Lucas enjoys playing computer games and likes sports, especially soccer -- he is an ardent Kaiser Chiefs supporter.
 And romantic relationships?
 "At the moment I am single and happy," he says, "but that doesn't mean I'm not looking!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment